Paris is deemed the “City of Love” and there are a lot of things to love about the city: its world-renowned cuisine, breathtaking architecture like the Eiffel Tower, and yes, even its fashion. Parisian women’s street style has that certain je ne sais quoi about it that can be hard to pin down, but here are some tips that can help you create an outfit inspired by the City of Love.
Simple Tips for a Parisian-Inspired Look
1. Shop the Basics First
When building your Parisian-inspired look, make sure you have the basics in your wardrobe. The Parisian-style foundation is made up of neutral tones such as white or cream, brown, black, and beige. When you have these colors at the ready, it will be easier to add a touch of personality and color, depending on your mood.
2. Avoid Skin-tight Clothes
While it is important that your clothes fit you well, you should opt for a more loose, comfortable fit. The Parisian style looks chic, but it’s also quite comfortable and casual. Try sizing up for tops and choosing straight or wide-leg styles of pants instead of skin-tight skinny jeans.
3. Be Familiar with Your Body
Most Parisian women know how to dress for their body and their personal style. It’s important to note that just because something comes from a designer brand doesn’t mean it will automatically look good on each person. You still need to know your body shape and how certain pieces fit you to build a good outfit.
4. Know How to Accessorize
Once you’ve got the basics down, you can add a touch of flair with a simple scarf or maybe a pair of small gold hoops. Make sure not to overdo it, as the Parisian style is known to have a classic yet slightly undone look. It’s difficult to master, but once you get used to it, you’ll be able to incorporate this philosophy into your everyday outfits.
5. Don’t Try Hard to Look Too Dolled Up
The everyday Parisian style is polished but not too put together. Meaning, you want your outfit to look good but don’t want to make it look like you spent hours. Of course, you want to look presentable, but not trying too hard is, ironically, what completes your outfit.
There are many ways to incorporate the Parisian style in your everyday look. Here are some of our favorite combinations:
(1) Teelie Turner Fashions Parisian Fairy Balloons Vivienne Scarf | (2) SLVRLAKE Grace Double Yoke High Waist Wide Leg Jeans in Skyline | (3) Equipment Parnella Short Sleeve Silk Button Up Blouse in Nature White | (4) Open Edit Blazer in Tan Mocha | (5) Marc Fisher LTD Zala Block Heel Pump in Tan Suede | (6) Loewe Elephant Basket Bag | (7) Bony Levy 14K Gold Eternity Hoops
(1) Teelie Turner Fashions Parisian Fairy Balloons Michell Dress II | (2) Sam Edelman Water Repellant Elongated Cotton Blend Trench Coat in Buff Beige | (3) AllSaints Wool Blend Felt Beret in Black | (4) Sam Edelmen Yaro Ankle Strap Sandal in Modern Ivory | (5) Tory Burch Kira Chevron Convertible Shoulder Bag in New Cream | (6) RayBan Transparent 60mm Polarized Butterfly Sunglasses in Transparent Brown/Grey Gradient | (7) Kate Spade New York That Sparkle Round Stud Earrings in Clear/Silver
(1) Teelie Turner Fashions Parisian Fairy Balloons Carla Palazzo | (2) TopShop Frill Collar Button-Up Shirt in Pink | (3) BCBGeneration Haxah Ankle Bootie in Cognac | (4) Tory Burch Miller Small Leather Shoulder Bag in Light Umber | (5) Prada Versace 54mm Optical Glasses | (6) Brixton Fiddler Fisherman Cap in Brown | (7) Monica Vinader Siren Muse Large Hoop Earrings in Rose Gold | (8) MAC Cosmetics MAC Lipstick in Ruby Woo
The Parisian style is not really made up of a strict set of pieces you should own, but a general philosophy: effortlessly chic. This means not trying too hard to look “too put together,” which is, again, not that easy to nail the first few times. But having said that, don’t be afraid to experiment and inject your own personal style. After all, being confident in what you’re wearing is the most important thing.